This session will explore how to unlock enhanced learning outcomes where there is an increasing focus on supporting interdisciplinary, collaborative project based programmes.
Learning and teaching are evolving, as is the approach to contemporary facility planning and development. It is critical these learning environments and the briefing informing them, are informed by contemporary pedagogies and STE(A)M disciplines to ensure they are creating exemplary learning opportunities for world class graduates.
· Understanding key factors critical to providing real world learning experiences in STE(A)M learning environments;
· Ensuring opportunity, innovation and future focus are at the heart of developing all new learning environments – requiring alignment between the design team and stakeholders to collaboratively co – author project briefs and learning spaces.
· Creating strategies to collaborate more effectively with academics and technical staff – to interpret, analyse and identify ways to transform traditional practice.
10:50 AM Designing and Developing a Campus that Effectively supports and Simulate Learning in an Evolving Discipline
Engineering as a discipline is rapidly evolving and changing, driven by technology and industry demands. The Centre of Advanced Design in Engineering Training (CADET) at Deakin University redefines how a modern “design based” engineering school should be configured to provide a stimulating and supporting learning environment. In developing a unique design based curriculum for engineering the provision of a suitable learning environment has allowed for flexible interdisciplinary approaches that have been at the core of this large exercise, which is an exemplar in the sector in Australia, and gaining international exposure also.
- Understanding Design based Learning to ensure the building reflects the desired learning outcomes
- Collaborating effectively with different stakeholders to optimize the learning spaces
- Managing the transition of the academic staff from conventional learning spaces to design based learning spaces